Coronavirus

dilla

Trumpfan17 aka Coonie aka Dilla aka Tennis Dog
Anybody else still working? My boss is milking this shit smh.

Is he breaking any laws by doing this? Are you guys considered "essential" by the rest of society, or just by your boss?

If it's the latter, file an anonymous report against your employer. I think there's a legit force of Karens in Chicago out looking for businesses that are open but non-essential and are reporting them and action is being taken.

And NJ is on a stricter lockdown than Illinois, especially Chicago. So look in to that.

yak pac fatal

Is he breaking any laws by doing this? Are you guys considered "essential" by the rest of society, or just by your boss?

If it's the latter, file an anonymous report against your employer. I think there's a legit force of Karens in Chicago out looking for businesses that are open but non-essential and are reporting them and action is being taken.

And NJ is on a stricter lockdown than Illinois, especially Chicago. So look in to that.
Yes and no. We’ve built water heaters, RTUs, and negative pressure fans for hospitals but majority of our work isn’t for hospitals. If we were only building them for hospitals then I’d get it but that isn’t the case. Also we don’t even have n95/n99 masks. We’re all working pretty much side by side. And one of my coworkers girlfriend works in the hospital.

dilla

Repo
Yes and no. We’ve built water heaters, RTUs, and negative pressure fans for hospitals but majority of our work isn’t for hospitals. If we were only building them for hospitals then I’d get it but that isn’t the case. Also we don’t even have n95/n99 masks. We’re all working pretty much side by side. And one of my coworkers girlfriend works in the hospital.
Report his ass. Worst that could happen is the authorities determine you are essential.

masta247

Staff member
So COVID has killed more Americans than 9/11 and Pearl Harbor combined at this point, while people are still unnecessarily going to work.

Cooper

I'm working from home. I usually work remotely from coffee shops anyway, so it's not a huge change, just saving a bunch of money on coffee and lunch.

Still know plenty of people working on site tho as their business has decided it's an "essential" one, although the UK furlough scheme seems to have helped a lot of companies especially in retail.

THEV1LL4N

Is the rona getting out of hand in your area?
It's bad, but the trajectory of cases shows signs that we will peak in around 2 weeks and hopefully see the number of cases ease after that point. But the UK remains one of the most non-compliant nations when it comes to lockdown rules. Recently, we've had good weather and people are out sunbathing in parks. The government guidance states that people can go out to shop for essential work that is absolutely necessary and cannot be done from home, shopping once for essentials, and once for exercising either alone or with another person. Lockdown rules means that it is prohibited to meet two or more people in public, so people are having parties or going out to parks. Shoppers don't know how much two metres is, and you see so many people wearing PPE equipment that the healthcare workers so desperately need. But I think it's dangerous behaviour because the people that are wearing them must have a false sense of security about being protected, not realising that their eyes and ears are still exposed, or the mouth area is still exposed due to half the masks not being sterile or adequate as a barrier. Also, I can bet that 99% of people wearing masks are not putting them on/taking them off in a hygienic way and this results in contaminating the mask.

We have a weekly #ClapForOurCarers round of applause to demonstrate our support for the amazing NHS and frontline workers. But many of the people participating in these events will be stockpiling, breaking lockdown rules and engaging in other behaviours and lifestyle choices that put the healthcare system under so much more strain.

It's not just a figure of speech when it's said that nurses are putting their lives on the line in this battle against the virus. They literally are dying.

To answer your question, it is bad in the UK - I believe the government has been misleading us. But they have done some good (more than what most were probably expecting) with certain schemes such as furloughing and supporting the self-employed to help keep the economy going (still some grey areas though and some people are hit very hard financially). There is hope with the opening of some makeshift hospitals (NHS Nightingale) that will be dedicated to care for COVID-19 patients in various cities. We are one of the worst hit countries and are on a steep curve in the number of cases and deaths, but the US looks so much more worse. I am wondering why the US government hasn't introduced any lockdown interventions - what is the likelihood that this will be introduced nationally for you guys? What else are they doing to counteract the virus? I think it's too little, too late and there will be millions avoidable deaths in America.

For the UK, one simple way to put it is that a decade long of cuts to public healthcare funding means that we do not have the capacity to deal with this.

dilla

So this Boris nigga is in the ICU right now and it looks like shit is about to get real if it's truly that serious and not precautionary.

A world leader dying from this is going to make some people really re-evaluate their stance on this virus being "just the flu."

I know physician assistant friends of mine that were parroting the "more people die from the flu every year" talking point they likely got from FOX News, but they're at home right now, not working. I wonder if it's clicked for them yet on what this outbreak is and isn't.

masta247

Staff member
So this Boris nigga is in the ICU right now and it looks like shit is about to get real if it's truly that serious and not precautionary.

A world leader dying from this is going to make some people really re-evaluate their stance on this virus being "just the flu."

I know physician assistant friends of mine that were parroting the "more people die from the flu every year" talking point they likely got from FOX News, but they're at home right now, not working. I wonder if it's clicked for them yet on what this outbreak is and isn't.
Didn't think anyone actually for real could still believe that (setting aside the fact flu is an overlooked problem in the first place). At this point, Flu is everywhere in the US and kills 60k people a year? COVID killed over 10k within 3 weeks with quarantines and isolations in place (and many places having not been exposed to it yet).

I feel like this is one of those situations where pockets of ignorance can actually kill us.

Last edited:

Preach

I'm a caretaker, so I still go to work. We don't usually use uniforms, but are using them now. Bunch of rules like only 2 people in the wardrobe at a time, and a bunch of other similar rules. I'm not hypervigilant, but taking a few more precautions than usual.

I don't get why people are talking about fear in relation to this. Like.... Why are words like "overreacting" and "fear" relevant? That's not what's happening. What's happening is, there is a viral outbreak, and the world is trying to handle it better than previous viral outbreaks. For the people that are vulnerable it is real. For people that have died, it is highly real. We all have grandmothers. If mine gets this virus she will 100% die, she has a bad case of COPD. One of the people I take care of also has frequent lung problems and will surely die. So me taking precations, and everyone else taking precautions, isn't "fear" or "overreacting". Part of the problem is that the virus is invisible, and you don't know you're sick before you've already spread it further. So it's not an overreaction to ensure that you minimize the risk that you get infected. The idea that you can go on personal quarantine when you're feeling symptoms is misunderstood. At that point, you will have already infected several people and left the virus laying around on several surfaces that other people will touch. It's not an overreaction, it is a systematic attack on a problem. It makes perfect sense, I don't understand why it doesn't for everyone else. And so about people buying a bunch of shit in stores resulting in other people saying stuff like "what's up with the human race?" also kinda doesn't rhyme with me. Having more stuff you might go to the store to buy at home might mean less trips to the stores, might mean less you breathing into the air and other people breathing the same air, and less of you placing your dirty fingers on doorknobs and handles and shopping carts and whatever have you. It makes prefect sense, how is it an overreaction? Most people have a grandmother, or a friend, or something, who's vulnerable. It's an overreaction to not want to kill people you care about and love? Lmao, I don't get it. It's really dumb from my point of view. That's without even talking about the principle of how important it is to ensure not too many people get infected at once, because that leads to situations like in Italy. Your grandmother dying, and some nurse saying "Dead... Next!" through the hallways while somebody else's grandmother is waiting to be on life support on a bed in the hallway, hearing it, with no one around to see to her, while her family is legally bound to be isolated.

_carmi

me, myself & us
Hi all!

Hope you're all doing well despite Covid-19. It's nice to read about each and one of you :)

I'm considered an essential worker, being in the banking industry. We closed over 40% of our locations and are bombarded left and right with markets plummeting and clients being in deep financial stress due to loss of income. I still pretty much worked full time. I've been in a closed branch about almost 2 weeks, working client calls and strategy as it left us all with a new way of working with social distanciation being a must.

Every province is dealing differently with the coronavirus in Canada. In Quebec, everything is shut down except essential services until May 4th, until the curve is flattened. Then a slow reinsertion of services is planned. We are doing overall very well. Low death toll, low hospitalizations. I have to say our government is handling it well.

@Preach Some of it is overreacting, some of it isn't. I honestly don't think all of those who emptied out the stores did it for the humanitarian reasons you listed, but simply went straight to survival mode believing there would be shortages, which there weren't. People didn't stock up on all essentials to avoid future trips, they went for toilet paper and antibacterial products. Truth is, there are as many people in grocery stores as there were then. There was no real strategy, hence why I think it can be deemed an overreaction, but also a coping mechanism as they needed to take action to deal with their anxiety and fear.

Obviously this sanitary crisis is very real and impacts differently everyone. Everyone reacts differently. I just wished people were kinder with each other. I've seen and heard some messed up stories of people being aggressive, insulting and non compliant to measures in place.

Last edited:

dilla

Having the time of my life. Working from home, catching up on video games, sleeping in and eating pizza/Uber Eats stuff. Best of all, I finally don't feel like I'm missing out on ANYTHING, and I'm doing everyone else a big service at that. My teenage years prepared me for this. It's amazing.

Coworkers asked me how do I cope with the isolation and now we're playing Diablo 3 together. Not only does it feel like high school again, those people appreciate it. A lot of companies are finally forced to catch up to tech progress and rid themselves of arbitrary restrictions and presenteeism like telephone has not been invented yet, or go out of business. Definitely some of the best times I've ever lived through.
On a lighter note, I picked up D3 as well and completed some more quests after almost a year after buying it.

I played D2 late but it was still kinda active in 2008. I don't understand the online aspect of it. A few things, actually.

One, is the 'season' that keeps changing. What happens when Blizzard starts a new season?

Second, online multiplayer is basically the regular game but made a bit harder because you have 2 or more people doing the damage, right? So enemies are just harder to kill or do the dungeons get bigger and more retarded?

Preach

^^
A new D2 season (if that's what you meant, and not D3) is a blank slate. You make a seasonal character in a season, and when the season ends, the character is turned into a non-seasonal character. Anything on it will be accessible in any non-season gameplay, but to play in a new season you have to create a new seasonal character and start fresh. I don't play D2 but I know enough about it :p

As for difficulty, there are 3 game difficulties (normal, nightmare, hell), and within them, 8 sub-levels. Each player in a multiplayer game increases the sub-difficulty from 1 (just you) to 8 (max players). On custom games and single player you can use a console command "/players x" to set it to whatever you want, but on multiplayer you will need to have more people in your game for the difficulty level to increase. You get more loot on higher difficulties - or that is, there is a chance for items not to drop on any difficulty, and each extra player in a game decreases that chance for no drop. Net result = more loot for more players.

You excited about Diablo 4?

While on the subject of games, anyone else happen to be throwing their life away playing Ark: Survival Evolved?

dilla

^^
A new D2 season (if that's what you meant, and not D3) is a blank slate. You make a seasonal character in a season, and when the season ends, the character is turned into a non-seasonal character. Anything on it will be accessible in any non-season gameplay, but to play in a new season you have to create a new seasonal character and start fresh. I don't play D2 but I know enough about it :p

As for difficulty, there are 3 game difficulties (normal, nightmare, hell), and within them, 8 sub-levels. Each player in a multiplayer game increases the sub-difficulty from 1 (just you) to 8 (max players). On custom games and single player you can use a console command "/players x" to set it to whatever you want, but on multiplayer you will need to have more people in your game for the difficulty level to increase. You get more loot on higher difficulties - or that is, there is a chance for items not to drop on any difficulty, and each extra player in a game decreases that chance for no drop. Net result = more loot for more players.

You excited about Diablo 4?

While on the subject of games, anyone else happen to be throwing their life away playing Ark: Survival Evolved?

I ended up looking it up on the EU website for D3, because the US site didn't have the same information/page that the EU site found. I found the EU site through a Google search for my question and it pulled up the EU site before anything else.

I don't know what character I made but I've had it since I got the game 1.5 years ago. The same one, I think. But I haven't played online with anyone and just do the story mode solo. Are you saying the items I get when creeps die change if there are more or less people?

I forgot my D2 days mostly but I did play with a few friends back then. I just can't remember what exactly we did. I feel like we played the campaign mode together but he had already beaten the game so I think the most recent level we could do was the level that I was on.

I didn't know D4 was previewed until I saw the Blizzard website last night. Since I just got D3, eight years after its release, and I got into D2 5+ years after its release, I think D4 will have to wait lol. I'll at least complete this game and then look to D4.

I've seen some videos for the FF7 Remake show up on YouTube. So I guess it's finally released, or close to it?

It is crazy, I am recovering from an op so signed off until the 14th April, but have been put on Furlough after that for a min of 3 weeks.

Our company is still running (haulage) as we supply food and pharma compannies so this is essential work but a lot of our work is within the construction and steel sector so no work that side, so get to sit at home on 80% pay

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.