Everyday things we have now, that we didn't when we started posting

Ristol

New York's Ambassador
I've got YouTube Red that I use with the YouTube music app. What's spotify got that makes it different to something like that?
I dunno, I don't have YouTube Red. I imagine it's similar. Just the ease with which we acquire music now is great. I used to have to search and download and label it. Now it's all done for me

Last edited:

dilla

Trumpfan17 aka Coonie aka Dilla aka Tennis Dog
I've got YouTube Red that I use with the YouTube music app. What's spotify got that makes it different to something like that?

I don't know too much about connectivity with other apps and services but I just find myself aversive to YouTube for Music because I don't know what it would feel like to navigate through when I connect to my car. If my music is in a playlist, Android Auto likely won't allow YouTube Red to play audio because YouTube is still a video streaming app before it's a music app. There may be a workaround but I don't think Android or Apple Car/Auto allow YouTube to be streamed out of the box.

We have two cars with Car/Auto capabilities and so it's a big deal for me when I'm driving them.

masta247

Staff member
I think what Spotify does right is that it actually feels more like a straight-up legit music player. I think it was the first one that really made it feel simply like your phone had 35 million high-quality songs on it, and Spotify was just playing them. The free tier is also cool, as you can listen to everything, just with an ad every 30 minutes and a limited amount of song skips allowed when going through a playlist.

Listening to the music on Youtube just feels wrong somehow, as it doesn't feel like it's made for music. The convenience isn't there, and I'm just somehow used to the fact that going to Youtube for music is going for those obscure, low-quality community uploads of niche songs. For proper listening, it's like buying furniture at the grocery store kind of feel.

Last edited:

dilla

Trumpfan17 aka Coonie aka Dilla aka Tennis Dog
I think what Spotify does right is that it actually feels more like a straight-up legit music player. I think it was the first one that really made it feel simply like your phone had 35 million high-quality songs on it, and Spotify was just playing them. The free tier is also cool, as you can listen to everything, just with an ad every 30 minutes and a limited amount of song skips allowed when going through a playlist.

Listening to the music on Youtube just feels wrong somehow, as it doesn't feel like it's made for music. The convenience isn't there, and I'm just somehow used to the fact that going to Youtube for music is going for those obscure, low-quality community uploads of niche songs. For proper listening, it's like buying furniture at the grocery store kind of feel.

You ever use a modded Spotify app? I've been using mine for a few years now and it takes out ads gives me the premium experience, minus downloading songs.

masta247

Staff member
I wonder how WinAMP is doing, lol
"On November 20, 2013, AOL announced that on December 20, 2013, it would shut down Winamp.com, and the software would no longer be available for download, nor supported by the company after that date.[67] The following day, an unofficial report surfaced that Microsoft was in talks with AOL to acquire Nullsoft.[71][72] Despite AOL's announcement, the Winamp site was not shut down as planned, and on January 14, 2014, it was officially announced that Belgian online radio aggregator Radionomy had bought the Nullsoft brand, which includes Winamp and SHOUTcast. No financial details were publicly announced.[73][74] However, TechCrunch has reported that the sale of Winamp and Shoutcast is worth between $5 and $10 million, with AOL taking a 12% stake (a financial, not strategic, investment) in Radionomy in the process.[75]

Radionomy relaunched the Winamp website and it was available for download again. Despite the website claiming that Winamp will be returning soon, as of 2018 no new stable version has been developed since version 5.666 from November 2013. In December 2015, Vivendi bought a majority stake in Radionomy.[76] The only change has been a new logo introduced in 2017."

Whoever was in charge of Winamp was horrible at business. Back in the day everyone used it, and selling it for 5 million 10 years after it's prime sounds like the worst thing one can do.

Rukas

Capo Dei Capi
Staff member
I think another thing that has hugely changed in the quality of TV shows. I mean. Things on TV now are of higher quality than a lot of movies; and the whole narrative format has really changed from what we used to have.

_carmi

me, myself & us
I think another thing that has hugely changed in the quality of TV shows. I mean. Things on TV now are of higher quality than a lot of movies; and the whole narrative format has really changed from what we used to have.
Oh yes! Totally agree. I find TV > Movies big time now. TV really upped its game.

Collapse. TV? I gave up on TV around the time Homeland came on and seeing the way my late step-dad on his couch got all excited about killing mooslems! I bitch slapped the cracker and he never recovered because he had high IQ.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.