Technology Chromecast

Casey

Staff member
We've had quite a bit of discussion of Chromecast on various other threads so I figured we might as well have a main one, especially with the UK launch happening in the next few days.

I pirated the Plex app. I'll probably buy it, it's actually a far superior interface for controlling the Plex server. I liked that AllCast would allow me to cast local media as well as control the Plex server, but it's interface just isn't that great really. Now that Chromecast use in Plex doesn't require a Plex Pass, it's a better method, I think.

BBC iPlayer support is coming to Chromecast in time for the UK launch by the look of it.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...kely-timed-for-chromecast-launch-on-march-19/

Good to have another big name on board.

There's an excellent Chromecast version of the popular card game, "Cards Against Humanity" that just came out too. Good fun.

Casey

Staff member
BBC iPlayer is working perfectly on the Chromecast. Used it last night to watch the new Stewart Lee show. Awesome.

THEV1LL4N

Bought one while I was on holiday last week and it arrived today. Haven't even opened it yet but will do later so I can view my photos on the TV now.

Casey

Staff member
I don't watch sports, but BT have the rights to a lot of the stuff, right? So that's good news for sure.

THEV1LL4N

It would be good if they offered one-off event plans, but this isn't as useful if you have Sky because you could just watch it on your Sky box. But if you are watching from somewhere else then I guess this is good news.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
It would be good if they offered one-off event plans, but this isn't as useful if you have Sky because you could just watch it on your Sky box. But if you are watching from somewhere else then I guess this is good news.

But... You can take your chromecast anywhere in your pocket..!

THEV1LL4N

But... You can take your chromecast anywhere in your pocket..!

I know, which is why it would be good if you are watching from somewhere else. Or if someone with a Netflix or BT Sports account came over to my house.

Hopefully BoxNation make streaming available for the Chromecast. Either that, or they make a live stream (subscription) channel for YouTube.

I think that paid subscription channels on YouTube will get a bigger push with the introduction of the Chromecast - let's see what happens.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
I know, which is why it would be good if you are watching from somewhere else. Or if someone with a Netflix or BT Sports account came over to my house.

Hopefully BoxNation make streaming available for the Chromecast. Either that, or they make a live stream (subscription) channel for YouTube.

I think that paid subscription channels on YouTube will get a bigger push with the introduction of the Chromecast - let's see what happens.

And the Amazon Fire TV Box, which should push Google to make something worth buying... With XBMC, hopefully. The end of Broadcast TV moves ever closer.

Casey

Staff member
I am not sure why anyone would buy the Amazon Box. What's it's USP compared to Roku, Apple TV, and the other stuff in that $100 price point?

Chromecast's USP is it's price, it's portability, ease of use and the fact that it just interfaces with your existing hardware and has no learning curve.

THEV1LL4N

Amazon are claiming that their device is 3x more powerful than it's competitors - but how is this measured? I guess the Chromecast's specs are not great but that is because the phone or tablet would be doing most of the processing and the Chromecast acts as a receiver for the output. So yes, Amazon are right.

They are also promising that their games will cost $1.89 - which I think is good. I'm hoping that the Chromecast will enable us to game on the living room TV.

I've tried out Qcast which was fun. A little buggy and the questions were a little repetitive; but early days still.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.